Everyone knows that I've been toying with the idea of quitting my job for a year!! Let me lay it all down for you & let you guys make the decision for ME (cuz I can't make up my mind) To the left you should find a poll to cast your opinions or if you want to leave a comment that would be great too.
CONTINUE: to continue what I have been I work 8 hrs a week max.
PROS: we can pay our bills (barely, meaning no extra spending) and not go into debt for school. Lily doesn't have to be baby-sat to frequently. Come July no more baby-sitter needed until possibly January.
CONS: I have the headache of finding a sitter for 4 Thursdays. TODAY 1) has their own child sick with the flu 2) is sick themselves & has been for months 3) Heading to Florida for 10 days 4 &5) volunteered I bring Lily to THEIR jobs so they can watch her (how rude would that be?!) Appreciated & tempting, but definitely putting them out! I get at least 1 phone call a week asking me to pick up extra shifts which I decline
QUIT: to no longer work at all minus the misc jobs picked up.
PROS: No baby-sitter for Lily therefore no headache for mom. No more telling Walgreens no or coming up with excuses as to why I can't work more hours. No longer have to turn down shifts!! (that is actually hard for me to do!)
CONS: have to take out student loans (but still no extra spending). Walgreens has a Hiring Freeze right now so once I take the leap there is NO turning back!!
INCREASE: Instead of working 8 hrs pick up to like 24 working Monday, Tues. & Thurs
PROS: Makes daycare more reasonable which means a stabler baby-sitter. Less headaches for mom! SPENDING money!! I'd actually have something to show for working. We'd be able to go on trips not worrying about gas. I'd be able to "spoil" my daughter with things other than hand-me-downs. Hey I could get things other than hand-me-downs! Get rid of all my holey shirts that I've had for YEARS & start looking snazzy. Spend $20 on a hair-cut & buy a curling iron!! Get rid of the "I'm a stay at home mom" look. Not have to turn down shifts cuz I'd already be working!
CONS: Don't really enjoy being a Technician, but the money makes it worth it right? Lily would have to do daycare (easier catching colds, worry about her treatment,) I always wanted to be the one to raise my daughter not someone else (only 2 more years right?!)
Really for me the choices are to QUIT or pick up MORE hours. Working 8 hours just isn't worth it for me OR for Walgreens. However what will probably happen is I will CONTINUE doing what I'm doing just pray Jeremy's internship is over by 3 pm on Thursdays!!
That bit about hand-me-downs don't get me wrong they have SAVED us!! We would not be able to AFFORD Lily if it weren't for ALL the hand-me-downs Lily really is SPOILED w/o me having to work extra so see I should just quit! :)
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Speaking from experience I would avoid debt at all costs...it is just too hard to get back on top once you start the downhill plunge. Why not talk to "someone" about getting certified to do daycare. Or sadly my vote would be to work more hours (I know not what you want to hear) maybe just until January. Again speaking from experience jobs are a luxury anymore. If you quit now and find yourself in a pinch in 3 months finding another job doing anything will be a lot harder.
That said I LOVE being home all day with my kids, and I will research all my options so I can stay here. It is NOT easy, but it can be done (maybe even without student loans) Check into food stamps and other government programs-I know pride is there, but YOUR situation is EXACTLY why the program was set up in the first place. Looking back I wish we would have looked into more of these programs when Jacey was first born.
Good luck with your decision and remember it is not one you have to make on your own. Pray about it.
Wow--that is such a hard choice! I struggled when I quit my online job when Thomas was born too, I felt terrible not bringing in any money to help, but was making my boys and myself miserable trying to do too much. School does eventually end, I really thought it would go on forever! We got blessed with jobs right at the very last moment before we'd think about loans--you guys are so wonderful I'll start praying for a miracle for you! Good luck!:)
I have had nothing but bad luck at home day cares so I am done with them. The actual daycare centers we have tried we really liked but the good ones are expensive, have waiting lists, and rules (like the pick up at 6:15 rule) that are hard to deal with. If you do pick up more hours and go with a daycare (in-home or a center) you should think about the cost and make sure it would really be worth the 24 hours a week. My vote is sticking with the 8 hours a week. And I'm saying that with the experience of putting people out. I know how frustrating it is to find sitters, how embarrassing it is to call someone at the last minute and ask if they can change their plans to watch Ammon. I'm with you on the headache but...if it were me making the choice I would need the peace of mind knowing I had a job and some form of income. I also would want/need the guaranteed 8 hours a week of escape from the house and baby talk.
Next subject. I'm with Amy on government help. Yes it is a bit humbling walking into a WIC center and laying out your family income and asking for help but (like Amy said) it is there for honest people that do want what is best for their kids. You don't have to use every single coupon every single month. Use it when you need it, for only what you need. It would be a nice backup for month's that the bills surprise you.
Next. I'm also with Amy on staying out of debt. But it's not just Amy that says it. You know it's been repeated in every conference for a really long time. As far as the counter argument "moms should not work but be home makers" which is also mentioned in every conference, I'm fine with justifying a dad sitter or grandma sitter or AUNT CRYSTAL :) sitter. They are people you know, love, and trust but more important, they are people that know and love Lily. If it's only 8 hours, or less, a week I say you are just fine and can go to work worry free.
And if any of my ramblings made sense that's great. Remember, I've got the pregnant brain. I'm good at nonsense ramblings!! Good luck. And remember you are most definitely not alone in the decision. God is just as interested in what's best for you, Lily and Jeremy as you are (if not more so!).
Kirsten! I'm so glad you posted this! What a huge source of chaos in a young mothers life! The guilt and stress that comes from this choice is overwhelming- I know becasue I am in it too.
The biggest guilt I have in life comes from wondering if I should be home with Addison more. Since I am the breadwinner- this isn't a possible option for us.
Daily I wish I could be home and work one day a week. I wish I could be raising Addison, I wish I could be the one to play with her all day.
This is my advice- Work, but not full time. Money is money. Even when you make more you still can't afford to get your hair done, buy new clothes, or go out to eat- just ask me- something will ALWAYS take it.
I would say pick up hours but tell Walgreens what days you are available to(like mon and tues when I can watch her) and ask them not to call you on the other days. Just lay it out I can work this day and this day but never this day - don't even call me.
I agree it is so hard to find sitters and you feel like a burden, but I have found we live in an especially good neighborhood. There are several people who are willing to watch your kids. I watch peoples kids ALL the time. All I expect in return is that if I ever need the favor, someone will help me. That is what friends are for and you shouldn't have to pay anyone. Talk to Robyn the rs pres- she is super good at helping with things like this and can help you find someone too.
I had a break down about this very thing like two weeks ago. I really feel for you. Remember to pray your little guts out and heavenly father will help you make the choice he wants you to- then you have to accept it- even if it means being dirt poor.
P.S- I can teach you how to coupon grocery shop- it saves SO much money and it can help you feel like a contributor financially. Love ya!!! Call me anytime!! We can for sure occupy your time by enjoying motherhood!
Thanks SOOO much everyone for your understanding, advice, & friendship! I will look into gov aid & Alyssa I would LOVE to learn how to coupon shop!!
THANKS AGAIN I really appreciate it!
Awful! I agree though-your 8 hours doesn't seem to be doing much either way. I can help watch her, though, if you want! I know we're in Layton, but we'd have fun! Good luck!! And, school loans aren't that fun, but sometimes not awful. We've got em, will probably be paying on them for years, but--the upside was we could eat during school...?!
Layton is not out of the way at all! :) right now I'm at the Layton Walgreens so Mindy I just might have to take you up on your offer! (watch out)
Post a Comment