Saturday, February 12, 2011

Labor & Delivery

So I'm putting this up more for my benefit later than for you viewing pleasure. So if you want to just skip it you won't be missing out on much!!


Saturday morning at 2 am I woke up needing to use the restroom (which actually was a surprise) I had gone my ENTIRE pregnancy without frequent trips to the bathroom (pretty much spoiled). Don't worry with Lily I got to enjoy that part of the pregnancy, maybe it was because she was so low.

Anyway 2:15 I woke up Jeremy (by accident) he asked if I was okay I told him I thought my water was breaking, but to go back to bed & just be sure he had his phone with him at work. Yeah right!! He shot out of bed so fast & well that was the end of that.

2:30 I was sure it was breaking so I called my mom to come sit with Lily. In the meantime I was drinking a TON of water, because I remembered with Lily the ice chips & wishing I could have a drink. (bad idea I swear it just ran through me)

About 3 am after getting a blessing from my dad & Jer we headed for the hospital. As we were getting wheeled up to L & D another lady came in with her water broken too. Fun! :)

4 am I was checked & dilated to a 6 my contractions were still about 5 min apart. I filled out paper work & did my best without anesthesia, but when the checked me again at about 5:30 & I was only a 7 I called it quits & got an epidural around 6 am.

Then Jer & I played UNO until about 7, because I was getting WAY nauseas, and the epidural numbed my left side, but my right was pretty much untouched & so it was still pretty dang painful!! I even hit the button like 4 times & it didn't even touch my right side!! The nurse checked me again & I was at about an 8. (With Lily that was when they called Dr. Hall to come in) so I was kind of surprised they didn't call Randy, but the nurse assured me that I was probably going to be delivering within the hour.

7:30 I was at a 10 & ready to start pushing, that's when the nurse got Randy & started fixing my bed for the delivery. It was so CALM!! With Lily it was mass CHAOS & I had NO clue what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. Once they had everything set up they started having me push. Now with Lily I pushed maybe 5 times & ended up with an episiotomy & the vacuum in order to get Lily out, so you can understand my surprise when I pushed 3 times with each contraction & probably a total of 5 contractions. Each time the contractions would stop Randy would kind of back away from the bed & chit chat waiting for the next contraction so different from Lily's delivery!! The nurse ROCKED at coaching me how to push I actually knew what I was supposed to be doing & not just "push" an area that is NUMB!! Randy was awesome, because when I'd let air out during the count of 10 he told me that each time I did it took the baby back in so that was motivation enough to hold my breath the 10 seconds!! Even if I felt like my eyes were going to explode.

7:55 am Malachi was born, and as gross as it maybe to you I actually saw him come. Talk about motivation! When you can see your progression it makes you want to push that much more! They sucked him out & weighed him, 6 lbs 14.7 oz, and 20 in long. He had swallowed fluid & was having a hard time breathing, so I got a quick snuggle & then he was taken to the nursery to be observed.

12:20 pm I finally got to see my baby & of course he was perfect! All his fingers & toes & his breathing was much better.

So remember how I pushed the epidural button like 4 times, well it must have release something, because my left leg didn’t regain ALL of its feeling until AFTER midnight!! I had to be assisted to the restroom 3 times & yes we did fall once, luckily no one was hurt. Bless the anesthetist heart! :)

Malachi & I were authorized to leave Sunday, but the nurses & friends convinced me to stay one more night, which I am grateful I did, because the following night I got a total of 3 hrs!! At discharge Malachi weighed 6 lbs 6 oz, we were SOOO excited to finally get home! :) I sure missed my Lily Belle!!

Malachi didn’t have too bad of jaundice, Lily had it enough to need to be in the sunlight & checked again. Malachi also got circumcised on Thurs instead of doing it in the hospital. His pediatrician finds that with the jaundice issues and weight loss it’s better for the babies to wait about a week. After all the Bible had them do it when the baby was 8 days old. Whatever floats his boat, I don’t think any baby has died or had serious problems having it done a day after birth, but I don’t mind taking him back in either.

When all was said & done there were 11 ELEVEN deliveries on Saturday!! What a popular birthday!! And I am NEVER going to an OB GYN if a midwife is available!! Such a much more pleasant experience!! My recovery time is night & day as well!! I did tear, but it was only 1 degree (whatever that means) & all the pain med I needed was Ibuprofen a total of 4 times!! Not Percocet like I needed with Lily!! Thank you Randy & thank you Amy for suggesting Generations!!

5 comments:

Stephanie Hancock said...

Glad everything went so well! Second babies I think are a breeze compared to the first one! And much easier to enjoy! Hope you're getting a little sleep! :)

Amy N. said...

My pleasure, I love that place!! I enjoyed reading your story reminds me of how truly miraculous life really is! Can't wait to meet him!

ScottBoomer said...

Thas a real entertaining story.

Julie said...

Congrats! We are so glad Malachi got her safely and that you are all doing well. :) (And I am totally jealous that you aren't pregnant anymore!!!)

Ben and Holly said...

woot woot for epidurals!! I figure the Lord gave us modern medicine for a reason, let's use it!! I'm glad everything is still going well.