Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh what's in a name?

 Did you do the assignment in Elementary where you went to the Library and looked up the meaning of your name?  I did & I remember Princesses, silly meanings, or some kids couldn't find their name.  I'm not sure if I was one that couldn't find my name, but my search went something like this.  Kirsten-Kristen-Christina-Christian meaning Follower of Christ.  Lame!  Not the follower of Christ, but that it took 4 names before I found a meaning & the name wasn't even MINE!  Along with the assignment we were to ask our parents why they picked the name to see if there was a story behind it.  My parents: we liked it.  I like it too, but I don't know guess I wanted more.

All these years later & attempting to try Geneology I came across a 3rd Great Grandma on the Nelson side & her name is Cherstin.  I claimed her :) then with the coming of baby #3 I've been looking up the meanings of names.  Doris means: Sea (I thought maybe I could come up with a name that means the same & name my daughter after her).  Then just for fun I looked up Marie: Of the Sea.  Ha it's taken me nearly 20 years & I can now say I am some what named after a Grandmother & I am of Doris.  I can't tell you how excited I am. :)  Silly I know.

Here lets do the whole family shall we?

KEITH:  Wood or Place Name, Unknown Meaning ROBERT:  Famous
DORIS:  Sea or of the Dorian tribe, gift, from Doris
CHAD: Battle Warrior KEITH:  Wood (also after his father)
APRIL: to open, blossom, 4th month
MONICA:  advisor, truth
JAYDEE: phonetic name based on initials DENNIS (I think): Devotee to Dionysos (God of Wine)
AMY:  Beloved
GREG:  Vigilant, watchful  FRED: Peaceful Ruler
CRYSTAL:  Earth mineral, Brilliant Glass 
BRETT: From Great Britain or a Breton CLIFTON:  Town near a cliff
JEREMY: God will uplift, God will exault, appointed by God JAMES: Supplanter (also dad/grandpas' names back 4 or more generations.)
CARRIE: Free man, Strong
GRANT: Great, large LORD: Lord
LANDON:  Long Hill ROBERT: see above, but also named after Keith & Doris' best friend.

Some of your names are very fitting ;) Do you think subconsciously Mom & Dad knew Landon would be walking a lot of hills on his mission?

And no I don't think this will be the last post on names...  Might need help picking a name out for PD Sweetie #5!

6 comments:

Jenefer said...

um...like how you snuck in the announcement...I hadn't heard about that number 3!

Carrie said...

Oh I LIKE mine! Fits well I think! :)
I thought you already figured out the names?

Kirsten Knowles said...

I thought the same thing Carrie! We're having second thoughts about the names.

Jenefer it hasn't really been officially announced. Guess it has now :)

Crystal said...

I've never liked that I'm a mineral, but at least I'm not a strong man ;) I looked up my boys' names one day and Ammon's was something like a follower of God or something similar. Rheddik's? Yeah. Didn't exist in any variation. Closest I found was Rhett. I love name meanings and I think our #3 (I AM NOT ANNOUNCING!! just preparing) already has a name, so long as she is a girl.

Amy N. said...

KIRSTEN, YOU ARE PREGNANT?!?!? I love name meanings too!

Mike and Mindy Williams said...

CONGRATS!!