Monday, February 25, 2013

Baby update

We had our final neonatal appointment with Primary Children's the next time we see those guys it will be when the baby is born.  Too crazy time is speeding up again!

The appointment was at 9:30 and we were finally done at about 1 pm.  We met with the surgeon who will probably be doing the surgeries  Dr. Kaza, I was impressed and he was our #2 choice in surgeons however I think he's taken #1 spot now.  It'll be him and one other surgeon (who will be assisting) along with their team of technicians, nurses, anesthesiology etc in the surgery room.  It was nice to actually meet him.

We did ask about the heart this time.  It is a "typical HLHS heart" the valves are all working the way they are supposed too, and so surgery is a good option.  We asked a few more questions & one I wish I hadn't asked was "Is this the worst CHD?"  "Yes, if not it's tied as the worst." Really wish we didn't ask.

We took a tour of the CICU (Cardiac ICU) and that was an experience.  It's so weird to think that it will soon be our life.  I'd kind of gone into a don't think of the surgeries think of the life after the surgeries mode & it was a reminder, I'm not sure I wanted.

Before surgery I'll be able to hold the baby, but after for a week or more I won't be able too at all.  The baby will be paralyzed by meds have up to four chest tubes, the chest will remain open for three days, will be on nearly twelve different medications, ventilated, & reality sets in again...

The surgeon said that the babies that make it to the final surgery, the Fontan, he divides them into 3 sections. First healthy can't tell an HLHS kid from the normal kids.  Second Heart Failure.  Third transplant patient.

I have exactly 28 days til my due date, that is such a scary thought!  I also informed them that I want to deliver naturally, and not be induced.  I don't think the cardiologist was entirely thrilled with that idea.  I figure it'll be safer and less stressful for the baby to go on my own, than have drugs forcing my body & baby out when they're not ready.  Obviously I'll have to go by my due date, I don't think they'll let me go longer than that without induction.  The baby can survive on it's own for up too two weeks, and when it's born it'll be put on a drug to keep the PDA open and they'll do echo cardiograms & other tests, it's not like the baby will go directly into surgery.

3 comments:

Jenefer said...

Thanks for the updates! I appreciate knowing the facts on this one! We are praying for you and your family (including the new addition, soon forthcoming)....We LOVE YOU!

Dad Welch said...

Mom and I will be there with you every step of the journey. Love you all :)

Crystal said...

I am grateful for the updates as well. I wish I was closer so I could help. I love you and your family!!