Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Family History

Remember the conference talk about taking your own family names to the temple?  I can't remember who it was, but I kept waiting and waiting for him to say unless yours is done.  Of course it'll NEVER be done (until the millennium , but when your line goes back to the 1600 it's mind numbing & overwhelming.  So I tend to just brush it off & let someone else figure out how to go farther.  

Anyway I LOVE stories!!  I read WAY too much, but feel a little better when it's a family member's history. I've read a lot of the Knowles' histories that Grandma Farm has.  I've read my brother-in-law's family history.  I have read bits and pieces of the Welchs' side (pathetic I know).  I got Grandma farm to commit to writing hers (I think she's answered 2 questions in almost the year she's had it...) But it was a commitment.  When I asked GG Butterfield to do theirs Grandpa pointed to his head & said "It's right here, the Indians didn't write down their stories!"  Sorry Grandpa that's a poor analogy!! 
Scanning treasures Grandma found!
We went and visited before Christmas and they both love to tell stories/reminisce.  I recorded the conversation.  After Christmas I decided if they're not going to write their own history I will!  So I call about 5 days a week and ask questions.  I have to write fast & my notebook is a mess of facts.  Don't worry I then transfer it to the computer.  Grandma has about 22 pages and that's just of her childhood/dating stories.  Grandpa has about 20 pages and it includes early marriage years.

It's amusing the differences between men and women Grandma with a simple question will tell you stories & sometimes repeat stories already told, just a ton of info!  Grandpa it's a whole different ball game he's more a yes no kind of guy & I have to drag the stories out of him.

I've learned a lot about the two of them & it has been an absolute BLAST hearing their stories.  I feel slightly overwhelmed at the thought of completing the histories and getting them printed.  If you have any good ideas as to how to print it off I'd love to hear them.  Hopefully I can include photos, I want it to be nice & not just copies of copies.

That's what's been keeping me occupied lately.  It's a good project & I hope I haven't driven them both nuts with all the questions!

No comments: