I'm not going to share the entire 5 pages, but at the end it had his favorite poem. I laughed so hard & thought you all might enjoy it as well... PS for those you who want to know this is on Grandma Nelson's side he is my 4th Great Grandpa.
The following poem is one of Edward Hunter’s favorites:
The Tingle of the Shingle
When the angry passions rising on my mother’s face I see,
When she leads me to the bedroom – lays me gently on her knee,
Then I know that I will catch it and my flesh in fancy itches,
As I wait for the tingle of the shingle on my britches.
Every tingle of the shingle brings an echo and a sting,
And a thousand burning fancies into active being spring.
And ten-thousand bees and hornets ‘neath my coattail seem to swarm,
As I listen to the tingle of the shingle, oh, so warm.
In a sudden intermission which appears my only chance
I said “Strike gently, mother, or you’ll split my Sunday pants.”
She stops a moment, draws a breath, the shingle holds aloft,
And says, “I hadn’t thought of that, my son, just take them off.”
Holy Moses, and the angels cast your pitying glances down,
And, thou, oh family doctor, put a good soft poultice on,
And may I with rogues and wretches ever lasting intermingle,
If again I say a word when my mother wields a shingle
It didn't list who the author was.

1 comment:
ha ha ha ha! SO funny!
Post a Comment