Monday, December 17, 2012

Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome

So I've hinted in past posts, but I think it's good therapy to say.  My baby bump at 22 weeks was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This means that the left lower chamber of the heart did not develop as it should.  The left side of the heart pumps to the body, and the right side is to the lungs.  In uterus there is a valve that allows the blood to flow to the body by the right side, everyone is born with it and upon birth & the first breath a child takes it ques that valve to dissolve.  So the baby is healthy & fine in the womb, it's when it's born & takes it's first breath that the valve then closes & we have a serious situation on our hands.
As you can imagine why, it's taken me awhile to come to terms with HLHS & be able to blog about it.  Just wasn't sure I was ready for the world to know, & definitely not ready for the attention/love/concern that comes from situations like these.

Last Thursday I met with a gal whose baby girl went through what my little one is going to face & made me realize that there is HOPE first of all, and that this is a little baby, that's going to have personality, that will smile & laugh.  It's NOT all oxygen, feeding tubes, going from one surgery to the next.  There is life in between all that.  Then I found a blog about a little HLHS boy who has had the Fontan (final surgery) & was telling his doctor about Soccer and Kung Fu, another little boy celebrated his 8th Birthday & another for his 3rd Birthday had his room redecorated.  After reading all the medical terms and being told point blank these were much needed blessings!!

On Jack's blog mom posted a video that explains what HLHS is and each surgery & it's goal.  So instead of me trying to explain it I'll let the professionals do it! There are a total of 6 videos that they did so if you really want a much better explanation of HLHS just youtube it.

This is the explanation of the 3 surgeries. 

These are the surgeons at Children's Hospital of Philidelphia, not Primary Children's, but they'll do the same thing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't vote for Myra Jean. It won't let me. ;) Sorry to hear about your baby. Thank heavens for modern medicine and the gospel.

Carrie said...

I am always here for you, anything you need! The sweet little baby is lucky to have such a strong and loving mom!

Amy N. said...

this baby of yours is a blessing to us all. s/he is a good reminder to have hope and faith and the Lord will take care of everything else. Love you and your little babe! (oh and the rest of your fam too!)

Stephanie Hancock said...

I have two dear friends (and now three) who have had this same situation, and it has been a significant spiritual experience to watch their families grow. I also know that there is a huge network of babies and families that help each other through this, and I can introduce you to both of them if you'd like. I guess you could call this trial Gospel 601 when the rest of us are working on 101. We'll be praying for you and thinking of you.

Kirsten Knowles said...

WOW I can't believe you know 3 families Steph! Thanks for the prayers, they are much needed! I might take you up on the introduction to your friends.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

I'm so glad you found my blog! Jack is a wonderful inspiration to EVERYONE. You will be taken care of at Primary's. jack LOVES it up there and doesn't ever want to leave when we go. It will of course be hard- handing your baby over to doctors, but know they are AMAZING at what they do and this procedure has come so far! I hope you join the Intermountain Healing Hearts- or at least find a way to stay in touch. Feel free to email me anytime. Lisamarietrent@gmail.com