Jeremy must have sensed something & took me on a date that night. We went to Little Orient in Layton (Highly recommend it is my FAVORITE! So good & @ a GREAT price!!) I of course got a spicy meal & hot mustard for my egg roll. When we were leaving they asked when I was going to have the baby & I said tomorrow. Their eyes got huge! :)
Malachi has made a habit of getting in bed with us during the night, or I sleep on their bedroom floor (spoiled I know, but situations change things!!) Friday morning he was in bed with us & I remember waking up periodically to stomach cramps. Chi & I cuddled until about 8 & I was beginning to wonder if I was going into labor. We got up & had breakfast & I was pretty sure I was in labor.
So I showered & told Jeremy he probably shouldn't plan on doing anything today. My contractions were about 15 min apart. Lily's labor was 4 hrs induced & Chi was 5 hrs, so I called my dad & had him come give me a blessing with Jeremy. Jer gave Lily a blessing (Chi didn't want one, but I wish we'd given him one anyway!) Then I decided I'd better call the babysitter Ma Welch :)
We dropped the kids off @ around 10 at my parents house and headed for the University of Utah. After filling the Honda with gas, we arrived at the hospital. At this time my contractions were like 13 min apart so Jeremy & I walked around for a couple hours got him lunch (I knew they wouldn't be happy if I ate...) Headed up to the floor to be admitted at about 1:00 they were about 7ish minutes apart by then.
The lady who admitted us was so sweet. Lady: "Your baby is going to be so beautiful I just know it! I just love half and half babies!" Me: Thanks! (thinking half Jeremy half I okay...) Lady: "I have a half Japanese baby." Me: "oh how fun" random but whatever Jeremy: "I'm not Asian!" Lady: "what you're not?! What nationality are you then?!" J: "Caucasian" Lady: "you have not Asian in you at all?" J: Nope Lady: turns to her co-worker "look at this guy he's not Asian!!" I was laughing SOOOO hard!! So the highlight of my stay & don't worry I told a lot of nurses, doctors, & most everyone who came to visit.
So they took me to a room to see if I was "in labor". I was at a 3 & told to go for a walk and come back in 2 hrs to see if it was progressing at all (you would have thought it was my first round with labor!). It was about 2:30ish so we went to Dan's & got me ice cream and a bean burrito (the labor nurse wasn't too happy when she heard about that later). By 3:30+ I was contracting every 3 minutes & I just wanted to sleep! Walking for so long was NOT a good idea it drained me!! We decided to go back up to the floor before I couldn't walk on my own anymore. I was at a 5 and they admitted me.
Remember how I wanted to go naturally & read all about hypnobirthing? Well it says that the pain is all in our head & we tense ourselves up & cause the pain. YA RIGHT!! I made it until about 5 & then the nurse gave me Fentanyl to give me a break for an hour. I thought an hour to sleep yes please!! Ha it didn't even touch the pain!! I was contracting about every minute and a half & so exhausted. (the midwife did show us a trick to have Jeremy push on my knees to help with the contractions & it eased the pain a little) I asked the nurse to check me to see if I could get an epidural. She said let's just get you an epidural! They didn't think I was progressing hardly at all, because my water wasn't broken yet... Well I got the epidural at about 6 & the fellow that would be assisting in the delivery asked if he could break my water to speed things up a little. I consented & he & another learner OBGYN came to break my water & I was at a 10. So instead of breaking my water they wheeled me to the OR & then broke my water & had me push. 6 pushes & Nelson James was born 3/15/2013 @ 7:21 pm
Last baby bump picture (look how high he still was!!)
Love this sweet little buddy!!
When they wheeled me back to the OR I told Jeremy it has to be a girl, because the labor was the COMPLETE opposite of Chi's!! Boy I was sure surprised when he told me it was a boy! So CRAZY!!
By the way remember how my epidural didn't quite numb my right side with Chi? Well it didn't even TOUCH the right side with Nelson it HURT so bad! I could feel everything still so in a way I say I went natural at least half way & never again!! :) However at least I know laboring techniques for when the epidural doesn't touch my right side again. And next time I am sleeping in my own bed ALL day long until I'm contracting closer!! No walks for me!
Miracle # 1 in all the headache of trying to find an OB that delivered at the U & my ins covered I found a Dr. Turok I decided not to go with him, but stay with my midwife well guess who was the attending physician (with all his students)? Dr Turok at least I know my ins covers him :)
I got to look at Nelson while they sucked him out & then through the NICU window he went. We asked what his stats were & they spoke a different language Kilograms & centimeters so after they converted back to American we found out he was 6lbs 5oz and they told us 19 inches, but Primary's measured him to be about 20 inches long.
He was in the NICU for about 3 hours before they got him stable for transportation. Life Flight brought him over to our room before heading to Primary's
In the Life Flight box... We have a ward member who works for Life Flight & we saw him on one of our "walks" but he got off work at 7 pm so wasn't the one to transport Nelson.
Shortly after he reached Primary's and got stable we (GG Welch, Amy, Jeremy & I) went over to meet the little guy. They did an echo that night & so we didn't get to hold him.

2 comments:
Amazing Story!! Thanks for sharing with us who weren't apart of the real thing!! I am so happy that both of you were watched over and protected. I am so amazed with all the miracles that have happened so far! Keep going Nelson!! Can't wait to meet you!
So glad you posted, I was wondering how it all had went! You're a trooper, I'm impressed.
Post a Comment