Thursday, October 20, 2011

Painting fabric?!?!

So a really good friend of mine does a blog & found this tutorial on how to paint upholstered chairs.http://www.danggoodfinds.com/2011/09/painted-funiture.html PS she is changing her blog to thepotters-place.com if you want to start following her...
Well Mom gave me this beauty.  It was handed down to her & well a really kind of awful orange...


Secretly this was my favorite chair to sit in simply because I can curl up in it & rock.  It was kind of itchy & smelled of dust, but I still loved it (minus the color)
 And so I decided I couldn't ruin it any more & decided with my birthday money I would paint my favorite chair my favorite color... Candy Bar Brown
 Honestly the pictures don't due it justice, but you are welcome to come check it out at my house.
Not much difference, but enough.  My own two sense would be don't panic when it is rougher than sand paper...  The iron (if that's the kind of fabric medium you used) really softens it up...  Would I do it again, probably.  The total on the paint was $17, the fabric medium ended up being $20+ not sure I needed to do the primer stuff I wonder if I could have skipped that & just did the acrylic paint...  Oh well it was fun to have a project to do!!  And complete for that matter :)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I am impressed with the "DIY" project! You crack me uo and i cannot wait to come and see it but more importantly your children! :) Miss them dearly...

Amy N. said...

wahoo, you know I was thinking though that orange chair would have looked awesome in a field with fall colors and your adorable little kids sitting in it for pictures...ugly always looks good in pictures :) oh well I guess...excited to come see it in person! Way to get it done, oh and your gloves, you could have called me and cried, I know that feeling all to well! Lately I have just been sticking with patterns I know. Although I have seen some cute new ones I might have to try out this winter.

Kirsten Knowles said...

It still is kind of ugly... but in a different sense & the flash really brings out the spots I missed :)